Does it work in OS X El Capitan with System Integrity Protection?
Yes it does! If you’re running the product on Mac OS X El Capitan where the System Integrity Protection (SIP) is enabled, you will be prompted to create a special boot media to do redistribution of free space from it (see the Creating Boot Media section in User manual). You can then use the boot media in order to perform resize operations. Alternatively, you can switch off SIP and do redistribution directly in Mac OS X (see the Disabling SIP section). Learn more about this issue in our Knowledge Base.
Why does traditional repartitioning take so long?
Until now, there were no adequate tools available to help rearrange space between NTFS and HFS volumes. A common method was a sequence of backup, delete and recover operations – with key drawbacks – consisting of the following basic steps:
- Create an image of the NTFS volume
- Delete Boot Camp volume
- Initiate a Windows installation procedure
- Prepare a new Boot Camp volume of the desired size
- Reboot Mac
- Restore the NTFS image to the newly created Boot Camp volume
- Requires many complicated manual operations
- A Windows installation disk is necessary
- Disk space can only be added to the NTFS volume; if you need to enlarge the HFS+ volume, you won’t be able to restore the NTFS image onto the smaller Boot Camp volume
This method, aside from consisting of many complicated manual operations, also requires the physical possession of a Windows installation disk to complete the operations. In addition, this manual procedure allows disk space to be added to the NTFS volume only – the NTFS image cannot be restored to the smaller Boot Camp volume once the HFS+ volume is enlarged.
How does Paragon Camptune X solve the problem?
Paragon Camptune X is a specially designed utility that rearranges disk space on dual-system computers. It has a very simple interface with few buttons. To perform the resize with Camptune X, there are only three basic steps:
- Run Camptune X
- Set the desired volume size by moving the partition boundaries
- Perform the operation
The benefits of using Paragon Camptune X:
- No complicated manual operations
- Works without rebooting Mac – continue your work while the resize operation is being performed
- No need for any third-party software or installation media
- Change the size of either an HFS+ or an NTFS volume
- With Camptune X, the whole resize operation is twice as fast